Name:
Location: York County, Virginia

I am retired from the York/Poquoson Sheriff's Office after 24 1/2 years. I am currently employed at Weymouth Funeral Home in Newport News VA and Riverside Hospital also in Newport News. I am president and co-founder of the York County Historical Society. I am also on the York County Historical Museum Board, associate member of the York County Historical Committee, Poquoson Historical Society, Nicolas Maritau Decsendants Association, Sons of Confederate Veterans, Sons of the American Revolution,West Virginia Genealogical Society and the U.S.S. Yosemite AD-19 Veterans Association. I am also a thirty year Parrothead. I am a 12th generation York County native even though I was born in Cocoa Beach FL.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

I am finally entering the world of blogs. This seems to be a very effective way of getting information out to the public.
This blog will contain information on the history, geneaology and culture on York County Virginia and the City of Poquoson Virginia. There will be stories about historical subjects that relate to York County and Poquoson. I will also include information about the York County Historical Society.
This blog will contain my opinions of issues that deal with York/Poquoson history. I have opinions on other subjects as well, but that will have to wait for another blog.
For those people that are not local, I will tell a little about myself. My name is Frank Green. I am president of the York County Historical Society. I am also member of the Poquoson Historical Society, the York County Historical Museum Board, associate member of the York County Historical Committee and the West Virginia Genealogical Society. Even though I was not born in York County or Virginia, I am a twelfth generation York County native through my father's family. Our lines go back to 1633. I have been working for the York/Poquoson Sheriff's office for almost 24 years and Weymouth Funeral Home in Newport News Virginia for the past five years. Aside from local history I am World War II buff. I am an amateur radio operator and a Strat-o-Matic player. I am interested in all history but I am especially interested in post-antebelllum history to about 1970. I have written one book on the Green family and am working on a second book that will contain short stories of York County and Poquoson history.
I am in my third and last term as President of the York County Historical Society.
Our society meets at the first of the month at Providence Methodist Church at 113 Old Dare Road in Dare Virginia. We usually have a short business meeting then a program on a historical, genealogical or cultural related subject.
The York County Historical Society now has possesion of Thelma Hansford's collect of genealogical related material. This collection contains about 90 books, several unpublished books, about two hundred folders on various York County families and a file of abstracts of York County court records that are put together by family name. These records have been indexed.
This is available to veiwed by appointment. These records are housed in the York County Historical Museum. The museum is located on the lower level of York Hall. York Hall is a the intersection of Ballard Street and Main Street in Yorktown. We hope to get some more collections of genealogical related material in the future.
I hope to include stories about York/Poquoson History in this blog. I would like to include some photos also. I am also hoping to set up a Web-site in the new future.
Our next meeting of the York County Historical Society will meet on the first Monday in November. The speaker will be Leo Forrest and the program will be on the Naval Weapons Station.
If you have any suggestions for this blog or any information that you would like to pass on, please let me know in the comments section of this blog or e-mail me at jfgreen@hroads.net
Thanks
Frank Green

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog you have here.. It's difficult to find good quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate individuals like you! Take care!!

my blog :: Diet Plans To Lose Weight

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home